This Policy applies to the towson-tutors.com website, including all subpages and successor pages (collectively referred to as the “Website”), and also applies to all software and services that we offer, including our online practice quiz system and tutoring request process (collectively referred to as the “Services”). This Policy does not apply to any website, product or service of any third-party company even if the website links to (or is linked from) our Website. Towson Tutors does not operate or control those websites, products or services. Please always review the privacy practices of a company before deciding whether to provide any information. By using our Website or Services, you are accepting the practices described in this Policy. If you do not agree with this Policy, delete all cookies from your browser cache after visiting our Website and do not visit or use our Website or Services. Your continued use of our Website or Services signifies your acceptance of this Policy.
2. Information collection and use
Broadly speaking, we collect information in three ways: (1) when you provide it directly to us, (2) when we obtain verification information about you or your company through trusted third parties (e.g. banks, credit bureaus), and (3) passively through technology such as “cookies”. The types of information that we collect and our use of that information will depend on whether you are a Website Visitor, Potential Customer, or Confirmed Customer, as described below.
The term “Personal Information”, as used in this Policy, refers to any information that can be used to identify a specific person, or any anonymous information (e.g., IP Address) that is linked to a specific person. Personal information does not include information that has been aggregated or made anonymous such that it can no longer be reasonably associated with a specific person.
Cookies and Web Server Logs
Similar to many commercial websites, we utilize “cookies” and other technologies to collect non-personally-identifiable information from our Website. “Cookies” are a feature of web browser software that allows web servers to recognize the computer used to access a website. Cookies store information accessed through your browser to streamline activities on related web sites, and make the online experience easier and more personalized. Information gathered through cookies and web-server log files may include information such as the date and time of visits, the pages viewed, IP addresses, links to/from any page, and time spent at a site. We use cookie data to measure web traffic and usage activity on our Website for purposes of improving and enhancing the functionality of our Website, to look for possible fraudulent activity, and to better understand the sources of traffic and transactions on our website. Cookies also allow our servers to remember your account information for future visits and to provide personalized and streamlined information across related pages on our Website. Log files are used to monitor, measure, analyze, improve, and troubleshoot our Services. You can choose to disable cookies for our Website but this may limit your ability to use our Website and Services; see below in Section 4 (“Choice and opt-out”).
To simply browse our Website, you are not required to provide any Personal Information. However, we may gather non-personally-identifiable information, as described directly above, just for the purposes of monitoring and improving our Website and Services. We will not share this information with third parties except as a necessary part of providing our Website and Services, nor will we use it to target any advertisements to you.
When you place a request for tutoring through our automated service, we will ask for information such as your name, email address, phone number, and information about the course(s) you are taking. We may also ask for general demographic information such as your major and how you found out about us. We will not share this information with third parties except as a necessary part of providing our Website and Services.
When you place a request for tutoring through our automated service, you will have the option to provide credit or debit card information. If you choose to provide this information at checkout, we will not store it directly on our servers. Instead, it will be transmitted to our payment partner Stripe, which will charge your card on our behalf as necessary. As a Confirmed Customer, we will also track and store information about your tutoring sessions and transactions.
We may retrieve additional Personal Information about you from third parties and other identification/verification services such as credit bureaus. With your consent, we may also collect additional Personal Information in other ways including emails, surveys, and other forms of communication. Once you begin using the Service, we will keep records of your tutoring sessions and transactions and collect information of your other activities related to our Services. The foregoing Personal Information will be shared and disclosed as described below in Section 3 (“Sharing and disclosure of information”).
Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act
Our Website and Services are directed to the general public. We do not knowingly collect information from children under 13 years of age or have any reasonable grounds for believing that children under the age of 13 are accessing our Website or using our Services. If we learn that we have inadvertently collected Personal Information from a child under age 13, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that we might have any information from a child under age 13, please contact us.
3. Sharing and disclosure of information
Towson Tutors does not sell or rent your Personal Information to marketers or third parties.
We may share the information we collect about you as described in this Statement or as described at the time of collection or sharing, including as follows:
Through our Services
We may share your Personal Information:
- With our independently contracted tutors (collectively referred to as "Tutors") to enable them to provide the Services you request. For example, we share your name, email address, telephone number, availability, and course information with Tutors so they can contact you to arrange tutoring sessions;
- With third parties to provide you a service you requested through a partnership or promotional offering made by a third party or us;
- With the general public if you submit content in a public forum, such as blog comments, social media posts, or other features of our Services that are viewable by the general public;
- With the general public from our feedback page, only if you explicitly consent to have it shared.
We may share your Personal Information:
- With trusted third parties who are integral to the operation of our Website and Services, including but not limited to financial institutions, payment processors, verification services and credit bureaus, as well as any third parties that you have directly authorized to receive your Personal Information. We may store your Personal Information in locations outside the direct control of Towson Tutors, for instance, on servers or databases co-located with hosting providers.
- With law enforcement, government officials, or other third parties if: (i) we are compelled to do so by subpoena, court order or other legal process, (ii) we must do so to comply with laws, statutes, rules or regulations, including credit card rules, (iii) we believe in good faith that the disclosure is necessary to prevent physical harm or financial loss, to report suspected illegal activity, or to investigate violations of our Terms of Service. We will only disclose your Personal Information in response to such a request if we believe in good faith that doing so is necessary to comply with applicable law or a legal obligation to which we are bound. If we receive such a request, we will use reasonable efforts to give you prompt notice, so that you may contest it if you choose. We won’t provide you such notice if we determine in good faith that either (a) we are not permitted to provide it under applicable law, or (b) that doing so would result in an imminent risk of death, serious physical injury or significant property loss or damage to Towson Tutors or a third party;
- In connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, consolidation or restructuring, financing, or acquisition of all or a portion of our business by or into another company;
- If we otherwise notify you and you consent to the sharing; and
- In an aggregated and/or anonymized form which cannot reasonably be used to identify you.
4. Choice and data retention
We are required to collect certain Personal Information to confirm your identity and comply with our obligations. If you elect to not provide Personal Information in optional fields it may limit your ability to use our Services. You can update your account information by contacting us.
We may occasionally email you with information about offers or new services. You can opt out of these email communications by replying with unsubscribe in the subject line, or via an unsubscribe link included in such communications. However, you will continue to receive certain email communications related to your account including information regarding upcoming sessions, transactions and your relationship with Towson Tutors.
If you wish to opt out of having cookies set on your browser (as described above in Section 2), the only way to ensure that this happens is to manage the settings on your web browser to delete all cookies and disallow further acceptance of cookies. For more information, refer to your browser’s technical information. You may also consider visiting aboutcookies.org, which provides helpful information about cookies. Note that disabling cookies on your browser prevents Towson Tutors from tracking your activities in relation to our Website and Services. However, it may also disable many of the features available through our Websites and Services. We therefore recommend that you leave cookies enabled.
5. Protection of information
Although no data transmission can be guaranteed to be 100% secure, we take reasonable steps to protect all Personal Information. Towson Tutors maintains strict administrative, technical, and physical procedures to protect information stored in our servers, which are located in the United States. Access to information is limited (through user/password credentials and software systems) to those employees who require it to perform their job functions. We use industry-standard Secure Socket Layer (SSL) encryption technology to safeguard the tutoring request process. Other security safeguards include but are not limited to data encryption, firewalls, and physical access controls to building and files.
6. Changes and notifications
We reserve the right, in our sole and absolute discretion, to make changes to this Policy from time to time. Please review this Policy periodically to check for updates. If any changes are material and/or retroactive, we may provide additional notice and/or an opportunity to “opt-in,” as appropriate under the circumstances.
Towson Tutors will provide you with disclosures and alerts regarding this Policy by posting them on our Website. You agree that electronic disclosures and notices have the same meaning and effect as if we had provided you with a paper copy. Such disclosures and notices in relation to this Policy shall be considered to be received by you within 24 hours of the time it is posted to our Website.
7. Contact us